When Disaster Strikes A Founder
Tom Pisello built Alinean, a consulting company which offered a set of tools to help salespeople express the value of picking their solution. The business was cruising with about half of its revenue coming from recurring licensing fees and the other half from consulting when disaster struck the Pisello’s family.
Pisello’s wife succumbed to a seven-year battle with cancer. Pisello knew he needed to focus on his family and decided to sell quickly and picked an existing partner as a new home for Alinean.
In the episode, you’ll discover:
- How life events can change your motivation in an instant
- How to value consulting compared to recurring revenue
- How to evaluate a potential acquirer
- Why your best acquirer may be an existing partner
- How to vet the likelihood you’ll hit your earn out
- Pisello’s biggest regret and what he might do differently if he could sell Alinean all over again
- The definition of “Evolved Selling” and how it applies to B2B companies