Building to Sell: The Molzi Journey from Startup to Brainlabs Acquisition
“In 2017 Chris Mole founded Molzi, a digital marketing agency catering to Amazon. In 2021 he sold to Brainlabs paying 75% in cash and the remaining 25% in an earn out. In this episode you’ll hear how Mole built his business to sell and when he did sell how he was able to minimize his earn out amount,” shares Sam Thompson a Minneapolis business broker and the president of M&A firm Transitions In Business.
In 2017 Chris Mole, based in the UK, founded Molzi, a full-service digital marketing agency catering to Amazon sellers. As a pioneer in the field, the company witnessed significant growth. By 2020, amidst the lockdown-fueled e-commerce boom, Molzi doubled its team size to over 70 employees and generated revenues exceeding £4.5 million.
In 2021 their success caught the eye of Brainlabs, which acquired Molzi, paying 75% of the purchase price up front and committing the remaining 25% to an earn-out agreement. In this episode, you’ll learn how to:
- Leverage “hook products” to reel in new customers.
- Employ top talent affordably using Chris’s innovative hiring approach.
- Build to sell without planning to sell and why it matters.
- Time the sale of your business to maximize its value.
- Forge connections with potential buyers long before you’re ready to sell.
- Shrink your earn-out period and boost your upfront cash.